- 1971 - M.D., University of Tokyo, Medical School
- 1978 - Ph.D., Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Tokyo, Faculty of Medicine (Neurobiology, Cell Biology)
- 1980 - Postdoctoral, University of California San Francisco (Cell Biology, Neurobiology)
- 1981 - Postdoctoral, Washington University, School of Medicine (Cell Biology, Neurobiolgy)
TEACHING, RESEARCH and other APPOINTMENTS :
- 1972 - 1981 Assistant Professor of Anatomy (Tenured), University of Tokyo, Medical School ; from April 1972 to November 1981.
- 1979 - 1980 Reseach Fellow (The Fogarty International Exchanging Fellow of NIH in Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco ; from April 1979 to June 1980.
- 1980 - 1981 Research Fellow (The George Meany Postdoctoral Fellow of (MDAA) In Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Washington University, School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri ; from July 1980 to November 1981.
- 1981 - 1983 Research Assistant Professor of Physiology and Biophysics, Washington University, School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri ; from December 1981 to March 1983.
- 1983 - 1983 Associate Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University, School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri ; from April 1983 to December 1983.
- 1983 - 2009 Professor and Chairman of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Tokyo, Faculty of Medicine, Hongo, Tokyo
- 2003 - 2007 Dean, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Hongo, Tokyo ; from April 2003 to March 2007.
- 2010 - present Project Professor, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy and Department of Molecular Structure and Dynamics Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo
- 2012 - present President, International Federation for Cell Biology (IFCB)
- 2012 - present President, Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP)
EDITOR/ASSOCIATE EDITOR/EDITORIAL BOARD :
- Cell (1998-2011)
- Science (1995-1999)
- Current Opinion in Neurobiology (1991-1996)
- European Journal of Cell Biology (1995-2003)
- European Journal of Biochemistry (1999-2004)
- Journal of Neurocytology (1992-2008)
- Journal of Cell Science (1990-2009)
- Anatomical Record (1994-1998)
- 1985 Seto Prize from the Japanese Society of Electron Microscopy
- 1987 Tsukahara Prize from the Brain Science Foundation
- 1991 The highest Prize from the Japanese Society for Basic Medical Science
- 1995 Uehara Prize from the Uehara Life Science Foundation
- 1996 Asahi Prize from the Asahi Newspaper Company
- 1998 Takeda Medical Prize from the Takeda Science Foundation
- 1999 The Japan Academy Prize from the Japan Academy
- 1999 Fujiwara Prize from Fujiwara Foundation
- 2003 Elected Associate Member of EMBO (Europian Molecular Biology Organization)
- 2004 Member of The Japan Academy (Section II, Department 7 (Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry)) (December 13. 2004)
- 2005 Eduard Buchner-Prize from German Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 2013 Person of Cultural Merit from the Japanese government (MEXT)
- 2013 AAAS Fellow
- 2016 Charles University honorary doctorate from Charles University in Prague (UNIVERZITA KARLOVA)